Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

A Known Unknown

As early as primary school we become familiar with the concepts behind the scientific method. Any good experiments starts with a problem that demands a solutions is followed by a hypothesis. (This was one of the first big words I learned.) A hypothesis is an educated guess, based on known concepts, on how to solve the problem. Little did I know in my early years how little is actually known before a hypothesis is actually created. My early experiments were limited to well established facts and ideas, must to my disappointment.

As an adult, I am now delving into the experimental study of dark matter. This is a study of a material of which almost nothing is known. Each study is based on around properties which are hypothesized to be properties of dark matter and each study is different. It is also possible that dark matter only exists in a dimension which we cannot detect, and in that case every experiment may be in vain. The idea of an educated guess is more elusive and subjective than my earliest understandings of a hypothesis. In physics, we stare at mystery and from the illusions draw ideas which are assumed so experiments can be created. Out of this seeming madness comes beautiful answers and proofs.

No comments:

Post a Comment