Pages

Thursday, September 18, 2014

28 things I did or experienced at 28

I started this ritual the day before my 26th birthday after a particularly challenging year to help me focus on the good. My previous posts were on Facebook, but I think it is time to move it to the blog. I find myself in the same position once again, 28 has been hard, but there has been much to be thankful for. So here goes.

1. I returned to Spain, the land of my childhood after 13 years of being away from the country.
2. I reconnected with one of my former youth group leaders and have found a new friend and prayer partner.
3. I started reading C.S. Lewis's non fiction and have grown to love his writing.
4. My husband, Piper, and I celebrated our one year anniversary.
5. I did my first every physics theory project - stay tuned for a paper (hopefully) this year.
6. I won the London division of the 3 minute wonder competition.
7. Which brings me to this point, to win that competition, I wrote an original physics rap.
8. I worked with a team of women to start a column on blog all about bike commuting. (Check out Taking the Lane here: http://sheclismo.blogspot.co.uk/)
9. I moved into a tiny and beautiful cabin.
10. I won the summer edition of the RHUL physics bike challenge by several hundred miles.
11. I found a new training parter who has pushed me to run faster than I thought I could
12. Piper and I volunteered to aid in flood relief this spring.
13. I presented in the Faraday Lecture theater at the Royal Institute
14. I walked along the white cliffs of Dover and they are even more beautiful than I had imagined
15. I explored my favorite Medieval Castle again
16. I was called "Aunt Emily" by my nephew for the first time.
17. I participated and rocked the London Ultra Duathlon
18. Which led to my first ever top ranking position in my age category (now I'll have to defend it next year)
19.  I started exploring the Thames Path with Piper which will hopefully lead to an adventure next year
20. I actually made myself to hill training this year, both on the bike and on foot, and reaped the physical rewards
21. I have learned more about being grateful
22. Even though things have been challenging, we have always had enough and that enough has come in some surprising ways
24. I made my first Thanksgiving dinner
25. I had my first full year of bike commuting (I have been car free for a while, but I have occasionally lived close enough to work to walk, but not this year.)
26. My poster of my theory project came in first place at the Institute of Physics High Energy conference
27. I wore an Easter hat for the first time this past Resurrection Sunday and I think it is a tradition that should be brought back

28. Piper and I started traditions of making even small trips adventures and I am looking forward to many more adventures with him at my side
The White Cliffs of Dover

Piper and me in front of our cabin, ready for adventure!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You are a high achiever!! I'm curious about the cabin - surely it can't be in London??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really appreciate your list of achievements and look forward to hearing more about each of them! Love you - Ken & Annetta

    ReplyDelete