Pages

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Fulcrum Point

The fulcrum point is one of the earlier physics concepts that is covered in primary curriculum. It is the balance point. For example if you take a broom that has the mass of the head on one end and is lighter at the other, there is still a point in the middle of the stick where everything is perfectly balanced.

My earliest encounter was on the teeter-toter. I most encountered the fulcrum again in my undergraduate studies in calculus.

I wish that I had recalled the fulcrum when I began graduate school. I had moved to a new country to attend the school of my dreams. I was going to work with the best and I was terrified to preform. There were exams to pass. So I studied, day in and day out. I neglected my running, my biking, that which brought me joy. The nights grew darker and colder and muggings were common, so avoiding running became easier I was too far away from friends and I was lonely. Still I studied and I passed my exams.

Now I am alone and out of shape. I am tired and lacking the desire. I am unbalanced. I am seeking the fulcrum point before it all comes crashing down.

No comments:

Post a Comment